So why not make it GREAT!!

Just an easy way of organizing my favorite things to do.... from cooking, sewing, crafting and more. I am always in search of great recipes and when I happen to find one my family loves I post it here to make it easier for me to find it rather then wonder where on earth I found it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Breadsticks




I had never made breadsticks because my bread is always to heavy so I was afraid I would ruin them, but I found this recipe off of OUR BEST BITES and they were so delicious and they turned out GREAT!!! So easy too!! In the picture above I've added 1 cup of whole wheat flour and they still turned out great!!

1 1/2 cup warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 1/2 cups of flour ( I used about 3 cups total)

In your mixer combine water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.

Add salt and stir. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour (usually between 3- 4 cups depending on your elevation and your humidity- I live in Arizona so it's pretty dry here and added about 2 cups- so 3 1/2 cups total) until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your fingers.

Spray glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Remove from bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll into a rectangle and cut into 12 strips with a pizza cutter. (make sure it's a short rectangle, I rolled my out to wide and it made 24" breadsticks, which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;)
Roll out each piece of dough into a snake and then drape over your forfinger and twist the dough. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining 11 pieces of dough. Try to space them evenly.

Cover pan and allow dough to rise for another 30 minutes. When there's about 15 minutes to go, preheat oven to 425. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Baste some butter on top and sprinkle garlic salt or parmesan cheese . You can also sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment